Jurgen Klopp and Virgil van Dijk are wanted by both Barcelona and Real Madrid with the Spanish giants reportedly set to battle to lure the pair from Liverpool.
The two men have been crucial to Liverpool’s recent success and are credited with turning the club back into genuine Premier League title challengers.
Klopp brought Van Dijk to Anfield and has been rewarded many times over
Klopp has been Liverpool manager since October 2015 and has guided the Reds to two Champions League finals, eventually winning the European Cup last season as they beat Tottenham 2-0.
The Anfield club currently lead the Premier League table by five points and are the only side to win all of their opening five matches.
Centre-back Van Dijk arrived from Southampton in January 2018 for a then world-record £75million fee, and he’s now widely considered to be the best defender in the world.
Where do Arsenal rank among the most error-prone clubs in the Premier League?
Van Dijk and Klopp wanted by LaLiga giants, Abraham open to Nigeria, Eriksen update
Man City have lost the equivalent of Liverpool losing Virgil van Dijk
‘Liverpool wouldn’t swap Firmino for anyone, not even Messi or Ronaldo’
They’ve done you
Watford can’t resist reminding Guendouzi he ‘spoke’ too soon
kick it out
Italian pundit banned from TV channel for making racist remark about Lukaku
Ronaldo bursts into tears in Piers Morgan interview after watching video of dad
Sadio Mane reveals he has ‘reconciled’ with Mohamed Salah after fallout at Burnley
He was named PFA Player of the Year, and was also crowned UEFA Men’s Player of the Year for his performances during last season’s Champions League.
Spanish outlet AS is reporting that Real and Barcelona will go head-to-head in a bid to bring Liverpool’s two most valuable assets to La Liga.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Napoli vs Liverpool (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Borussia Dortmund vs Barcelona (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Olympiakos vs Tottenham (Wednesday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT
- Shakhtar Donetsk vs Man City (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- PSG vs Real Madrid (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Eintracht Frankfurt vs Arsenal (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leicester vs Tottenham (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Derby (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Sheffield United (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Brighton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- West Brom vs Huddersfield (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
Neither side have looked entirely convincing so far this season, with Real narrowly beating Levante at the weekend and Barcelona failing to win both their away matches, and doubts have been raised over the futures of managers Zinedine Zidane and Ernesto Valverde.
According to the report, both clubs are already considering alternatives, with Klopp near the top of their lists – and they hope signing the German will give them an advantage in the race to buy Van Dijk.